October 19, 2011

Knitting

Yesterday DD and I discovered a lovely little shop in the city with loads of gorgeous yarn. There was an irresistible cute dragon displayed on the counter, so I bought pattern, yarn and needles and started knitting. I have finished the head already. More information about Joris de Draak and his friends you can find on this Dutch site.

These wooden cases are used to store knitting needles. Top down they did belong to beppe (my Frisian grandmother), mother-in-law, mom and mom's mother. They are still filled with bended and rusty needles. Especially mom's neeldes are bended, because my little brothers used to shove them in the carpet to make nice hooks. Winner was the one with the most acute angle. You can imagine how mom's reaction was!

I didn't forget Herbs: I only started a rotation ;o)

5 comments:

Anne Marieke said...

Those cases for knitting needles are beautiful, Ineke! My Grannie had one just the same. I wish I knew where it has gone.
How lovely that you have a whole collection of them.

The yarn for the dragon looks beautiful. Perhaps you should knit a sweater with it too :o)

Looking forward to seeing your dragon come to life.

Susan said...

The dragon is too cute. Thank you for the link to the designer's site, he has some amazing things. I have never seen needle cases like that. I don't remember what my Grandmother kept her needles in but I know it wasn't as beautiful as those.

Joysze said...

Awww, I love his little head. Love the yarn color you picked too, Ineke. I can't wait to see his body. :D

Love those needle storage. They're so bright and vibrant. LOL @ your brothers.... I can imagine mine doing that.

Giovanna said...

Very cute dragon, and lovely yarn choice. The knitting needle cases are gorgeous!

Siobhán said...

What neat cases! Lovely knitting.